Sunday, January 20, 2008


A few months ago I entered a contest that would help "make my dream come true"; namely, a magazine and fashion label were sponsoring a contest that would help three women with a substantial grant to assist their vision and help them realize a goal. My dream was to plant a large amount of street trees in south Wiliamsburg, to promote healthier living, beautiful a historically toxic neighborhood, and to provide future generations of children with a more aesthetic environment in which to grow up.

Yesterday at 5:30pm, I found out I was a finalist. 1 of 15 selected out of over 2,000 applicants. Yay!

With the help of a friend (and coordination manager of ReelWorks http://www.reelworks.org/, a teen filmmaking program based out of Brooklyn), today I enlisted the help of three young filmmakers named Kareem, Samori, and Nick to help me with a required 4-5 minute video to be sent to magazine headquarters by Wednesday of next week.

In below freezing temperature, we went to south Williamsburg, to the site I planted my first street tree with my Dad, and shot for as long as we could all stand it. We all contributed ideas about shots, lighting, feel, mood, and intention of our video. It felt like a true collaboration, and I really enjoyed spending time with the filmmakers.

Tomorrow we edit, so by Tuesday I hope to have the video to post here as well as have it to send to the magazine's HQ by the Wednesday deadline. Fingers crossed!