Saturday, January 5, 2008

conversation

It's so interesting and great to see the progress shots in your studio Tereza. I love the idea of erasing the calendar after each month...time is so arbitrary anyway. I felt fake in a way "counting down until the New Year" this year. We just looove to categorize everything, we humans.

The painting sketches are really nice to see. What are your concepts involving the images you are working with? What other images are coming to mind for you?

I hope to see you in February for your birthday. Please let me know when you'll be in town.

I feel a bit like the lady at the desk today. Very tired. Calling it an early night tonight so I can brave The Last Day Of The Rembrandt Show At The Met. A friend and I are going. I already went earlier this week but have to return to see the collection one last time.

My mother and handkerchiefs.


A detailed view of mom with handkerchiefs.
And then after lunch I have to run to MoMA for The Last Day Of The Seruat Show At The MOMA. It's going to be a doozy.

But, to be honest, I started my first big painting today in about a year and started drawing again after seeing the Seurat show. Brought me back to what I was interested in 10 years ago, what I stopped working on about 3 years ago. It's so interesting to pick things up again that one left "behind"... nothing ever really leaves.

Thank you as well for the response to the "dirty laundry" piece. It's quite new for me and I appreciate the consideration. I'll send you a card and pencil so you can participate in real life not over the internet. The handwritten response is important to the piece. I was inspired to make it in a way because I've painted the laundry line over and over again in my former paintings that I wanted to see what an actual laundry line could mean in three dimensions. The embroidery also is very meditative and continuing on with "women's work".

What graduate programs are you applying to? That intention seems to be shared by many artists I know.

One of my own resolutions is to not be an artist no one knows about any more. I am finally getting my work on the internet, in galleries, and most importantly out into the world. My very own site to be built and up by mid-year. I'm tired of being afraid of success and afraid of revealing myself to others.


Catherine Lee "the Mark Paintings" at Gallerie Lelong. Woke up to them this morning. Very obsessively made, and very inspiring.


Detail of one of many many canvases like this one. The grid was everywhere for her!


another piece in the show...


and another detail. I get such a sense of Agnes Martin in these pieces. I almost forget they were made in 1977.

No comments: