Monday, January 7, 2008

Scraps

Started 10 years ago in Florence when I was studying abroad, as left-over primed canvas ends that I made into postcards and sent as Christmas presents.


I continued in NY sitting with imagery usually from war (right after 9/11). I was trying to paint exactly what I saw and through the process tried to sit with the horror. (Crying a lot.)


Now from my current perspective the left-over black and white scraps needed more. Color. I am taking the direct translation and adding a layer of subtlety. It does not hit you in the stomach so hard, but the message is still there. I am almost at the end of "Light, Darkness and Color in Ptg. Therapy" which has helped me tremendously in feeling colors and their qualities.


Where a group of standing figures (onlookers or perpetrators) stood over decapitated bodies, now all bodies are erased, leaving all head in dialogue.

(Still exploring how to hang these)

No comments: