Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Saartjie Baartman and Christian Boltanski

Went to the Guggenheim last night with a friend to hear Christian Boltanski speak about his work. What a treat!

It's interesting that he called himself a painter; he thinks of himself as a painter.
He noted Joseph Beuys as a main inspiration as a youth.
I heard him say that, with painting, one has to only really have one idea and work it though for one's whole life.

It was also interesting to note the differences of existence between the interviewer, the curator of photography from the Gugg, and the artist himself, Mr. Boltanski.

Art Institution and artist on the same stage. I had a discussion about this with the friend I went to the talk with; she raised some interesting questions about where artists would be without institutions of Art. I still felt very uncomfortable by the over-intellectual nature of the interviewer, although I realize it's the lens she has chosen to see the world through.

Anyway, the evening was interesting enough; I'm really glad I went.

Christian Boltanski


Christian Boltanski

Another issue that keeps coming up for me is that of judgement of the female body, the male gaze, and measurement/measuring up/ keeping the measure, etc. Thinking about comparisons of the Other, Saartjie Baartman comes to mind. Something that keeps coming up since Cape Town workshop.

Hottentot Venus

No comments: