Monday, January 28, 2008

Someone













I was walking to studio on Sunday morning, and a "Crime Scene Investigation" tape blocked my way. A single cop who was still on site told me that, in addition to being very tired himself, someone had gotten shot the night before. I didn't see the blood on the street, and walk the long way around the block to get to studio.

That afternoon the street had been cleared, and a mountain of sand had been poured over the blood to absorb and cover it. If one didn't know about the previous evening's violence, one would never have noticed the sand. But I did and it made me feel vulnerable and nauseated.

This morning I took photos of the makeshift memorial next to the now apparent blood stained street. The yellow gloves next to the hydrant also made an impression on me, as they seem so carelessly thrown away in the same way the sand was just poured over the blood in the road

No comments: