Friday, January 11, 2008

The fighter


Sometimes I feel like the woman standing, but today I feel like the woman on the floor.

My paternal Grandmother in Greece broke her hip yesterday and is in surgery today. In Greece. Due to the *delicate* relationship I have with that side of the family I don't know any more about it. I probably won't know any more either.

She's the last Grandparent I have alive, and I've only met her twice; once when I was 15 and once when I was 20. I can't really communicate with her because she doesn't speak English and I don't speak Greek. But I know what she's saying. And I was named after her. I think of her often, and recently found a small painting I did of her from memory.

A broken hip is often a death sentence for an elderly person. I hope it's not for her. I feel sad.

No comments: