Saturday, January 5, 2008

Airing dirty laundry

Questions about the reality of such a thing- The literal translation is quite nice-
In our culture of obsessive cleanliness and isles upon isles of cleaning products, of dishwashers, washing machines, dryers, robotic vacuum cleaners, car washes, we hardly see our ‘shit’.

And any personal interaction with it is quite foreign. Hmm, it's making me think of recording a change of personal habits-a diary of keeping dirt or cleaning by hand, more on that later...

I think if one has experienced the chore of cleaning ones clothes, by hand, one would have an all together different interaction with this piece.

It is very pretty (the embroidery, sheets in the wind.) quite a contrast to the concept.

I am also thinking of color- it is on my mind. To actually use dirty laundry perhaps in all kind of weather- undressing from the day and hanging up your dirty laundry, letting it be, living with the smells, the colors- heck just using the laundry line will already make a statement. (Are there not some US laws in place that do not allow one to hang laundry outside?)

The pencils are interesting and desk, test taking elements, putting the viewer into this position and then with the phrase, “Do No Harm”- I love that, all pencils should say this especially in test taking.

Perhaps you can also have people respond via web, I would love to participate.
I’m interested in what some of the phrases are… So do let me know what this piece leads to.


I'm keeping a calendar of daily recycling- in many forms. At the end of the month I erase the words and start anew. I have been much more conscious of my daily movement while doing this.

No comments: