REQUEST FOR OUTDOOR SCULPTURE PROPOSALS
Redmond Arts Commission
ENHANCING OUR COMMUNITY THROUGH THE ARTS
March 3, 2009
The Redmond Arts Commission is planning the 2009 Redmond Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition (October 2009-May 2011). The Redmond Arts Commission will select up to 15 sculptures for exhibition at sites throughout Redmond including parks, neighborhoods, and local businesses.
Sites for art placement will include Redmond Parks, businesses, and areas of the City where there is significant public viewing area.
• Outdoor sculptures large enough to be seen from a distance, and representing high artistic value and craftsmanship. Sculptures must be designed for outdoor viewing and maintenance. For safety reasons, each piece must be securely installed and present no major risk factors, especially for children. The installation site will be selected by the Redmond Arts Commission in cooperation with the City of Redmond Parks and Recreation Department with advice from the artist.
Artists will be contracted for the exhibition of their artwork. They will receive a stipend of $1,000. Exhibited sculpture will be available to the public for sale with 80% of the proceeds of any sale paid to the artist.
Artists must be able to arrange their own transportation and do their own installation. Assistance will be provided through the City of Redmond Park Operations staff. The City of Redmond insures the art for 50% of the value for total theft for the duration of the exhibition.
METHOD OF SELECTION
The selection panel may include representatives of the Redmond Arts Commission, the Redmond Parks and Recreation Department and the City of Redmond’s Risk Manager and interested city residents. This is an open competition process available to all artists. Selected artists must be available to install their art in Redmond in September or October 2009 and deinstall their art in October 2011.
Key criteria for the selection process will include art of the highest quality, the maintainability of the piece or pieces, and the suitability for the location. The permanence/durability of the piece will be considered. Safety of the design and installation will also be a significant factor.
• Submittals must be received by the City of Redmond by 4:00 pm. Friday, April 24, 2009
• Preliminary screening will take place in early May
• Finalists will be notified in June 2009
• Art dedication and installation will be September - October 2009
• Current Resume
• Up to five images of work completed and available for installation. Images may be printed, or on a CD. Multiple views of the same work can be submitted in addition to the initial five.
• A directory to the images with title, date, medium, size and selling price.
• Requirements and directions for installation.
• A self-addressed stamped envelope to return the submittal materials if you wish your materials returned to you.
Submit entry to: Mary Yelanjian
City of Redmond Arts Commission
PO Box 97010
Redmond, WA 98073-9710
City of Redmond Arts Commission
Redmond City Hall
15670 NE 85th Street, 4th Floor Parks
Redmond, WA 98052
Monday-Friday, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
For additional information contact: