Monday, April 14, 2008

Eggs off to Oregon





A few weeks ago I sent off these images to a group show at University of Oregon. Today I found out that all three of my entries made it into the show! Above are my little eggs as well as a statement that goes with them.
The egg series was driven by the political climate of New York City post 9-11, a place where I made my first home, where I taught art to my first children (600 K-8th grade students), and painted. I was hooked to the images of daily papers and historical imagery of wars, current and past. I found myself unable to throw the papers into the trash. It was not one of those things one could just toss aside. I needed to cradle, hold these beings. Stay with them like one would stay with a friend in need. It was all I could do to help. These images need to resonate in the human consciousness until these events do not exist anymore.
I'm very happy that the eggs are continuing on- they do not belong to my mother's attic.
Very delicate work and at the same time very powerful- your laundry line- I love the subtlety of the text on the same colored fabric- subtle and powerful...

1 comment:

Jarons20 said...

I was interested in this post, the paintings are amazing and the medium on the eggs is a great statement on those times. I remember everyone walking on (forgive me) eggshells, watching what they said, like the world had changed so drastically something was ripped away from us. I think a lot of ignorance was wiped away and another level of ignorance was added in a blind rage against those who committed the atrocity. I can still remember the first Daily Show, where they came back and said that laughter was needed. I like the portraits but the second egg, the crowd, really touched on my memories of 9/11