Monday, April 21, 2008

Cracking Eggs

The form is a superb one- an egg to me is perfect and each is absolutely unique. The other favorite part is that I can cradle it in my hands- I love holding eggs, there is something about that energy- of course it is also filled with history of working with eggs, cooking, eating (being the egg, receiving it's glow,) and loaded with meaning, produced by females in their bodies. It is also a recycled surface. All these and Czech Easter tradition started me painting on them.

The form is very strong, when held in the right way and at the same time of course very fragile- associating them with humans was a natural connection. (After all we all are (were) eggs.) I have wanted to make an installation with eggs from the get-go but never found the space. I wanted to cover the floor with them and have people actually step on them, feel themselves and their weight upon the cracking, (bloody feet would probably result and there goes the liability). I still need to find a space that will be up for it so let's put it into the ether.

Limits- somehow painting the surface (I also cracked the eggs and painted portraits inside) was only that, left on a surface level. I wanted to brake them open, spill them, spill the emotion and let it pour out, let it go. They were so precious however, I could not do it. (In paint however I could have all those options - I'm thinking of a whole body of egg paintings, replicas of those on egg shells with all these options, spilling braking, being walked on.) They also lacked space, the proper context; generating thoughts as I write.


The current (real) eggs suspend from the ceiling and hang at eye level- cast with plaster from the inside with a metal wire loop. At an opening people were confronted directly and at the same time some bumped into them or were starled to find the artwork in front of their nose. With the plaster they are much sturdier than perceived.

What do you want from each relationship? What help are you needing? The shift in perscpective after Alenka has been huge for me in this realm, I often wanted, needed to do things on my own and prove my strength to others and myself. My weakness, softer side was often hidden. After birth and all kinds of things pouring out of all body parts in front of others, the hidden part spilled out. Having help is immensely necessary to the human condition. It is also a gift to others to give help. I have to remember to be very direct in asking, even demanding help. What is it you are needing? Can I do anything throught these words?images?
I'm certainly not scared of you. (images are from our walks.)

No comments: