Thursday, February 14, 2008

More tree news


KeySpan's communication about ripping a 30' trench in my sidewalk was not as good as it could be. Basically, I got no warning; I just arrived on site today and found this work being done. I love being responsible for paying taxes for the sidewalk, and KeySpan gets to rip it up whenever it wants! I feel so bad for my little street tree. It's so small, but thankfully dormant, and will maybe live. The folks at the Chelsea Garden Center were very helpful and encouraging. I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow!


What a lovely trench. I just looove that it borders the interior border of my tree pit, allowing all the organic soil to just blend in with the rest of the toxic dirt of Williamsburg. Lovely.


In addition to documenting my work and confronting 10 years of process, seeing my work through a very different lens, I arrive to say good morning to my street tree today and KeySpan is trenching the sidewalk and basically killing my tree. Observe:


The most courteous of street trenchers, this kindly gentlemen assured me the tree would not be harmed further, that he "would do what he could" to save the tree. Ahh, the chivalry


The street tree, street view, with bulldozer. Doesn't "bulldozer" and "street tree" go really well together?


Another glorious view that greeted me this morning, just one week before Parks Department inspection! Yay!

No comments: