Monday, February 18, 2008

American R*evolution

Friday night saw the opening of American R*evolution at the Junto Gallery in Brooklyn, NY. I was fortunate enough to have been invited to show. I decided to go into more depth with the Airing Dirty Laundry piece, making the slips of paper a bit more refined and working with the implications of the piece in a bit more detail.

And since it's an election year, the choice to use the symbol of a ballot box was an easy one (considering the title of the show as well)

The participatory aspect of Airing Dirty Laundry made its NYC debut. Many people cast their ballots in the ballot box. As far as I could tell, everyone loved the prize aspect of keeping the "Do No Harm" pencils. Some ballots could be read, some could not. I feel it was a success. I overcame my initial stage fright and actually felt at home at the opening. I felt myself again. This is indeed what I should be doing.


Installation view, kindly created by the show's curator, Hayato. He chose the best place for it, and made it very accessible for the viewer to become a participant.







I was actually pleasantly surprised that some of the people I invited did make it out to the opening. To be honest I've not been in practice with this sort of thing, but the feelings quickly came back.









I received a lot of interesting ideas from participants and colleagues. This week can be a follow up week...exciting how art continues art continues art. yay

No comments: