Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Hallucinating blue during an earthquake

I have been looking for examples of and references for red and blue for the last couple of years. Frequency and thought forms; inhalation and exhalation, circulation, oxygenated blood and de-oxygenated blood; raw pigment, opaque and transparent, referring to the divine and the corporeal; symbolic references to "above" and "below"; how the colors have been used art-historically, and simply: why am I attracted to them as a couple? 

One day, two years ago during the SAP workshop, there was a very strong earthquake. From the moment I felt it, even before someone called out what it was, I instantly knew I would very quickly get a migraine and vertigo and not be able to move and be incapacitated for the rest of the day. That's how I respond to earthquakes (as I found out from living in San Francisco in the late 90's). This time, during the moments between having clear vision and suffering from blinding pain, I also hallucinated blue: everything was cobalt for an instant, maybe a little longer. Like shooting stars but blue vision.

Coincidentally, it was right after we learned about Synesthesia and how it relates to perception of "reality". I don't know if the color was projected from what I just saw, but afterwards I thought it was interesting to feel a color during tremendous and instant pain. I could have just inferred it, but  I still think about it from time to time.


No comments: