Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Connections (nothing makes sense)


I have been disillusioned, saddened, sickened and angered by the escalating police brutality against African Americans in this country. The recent killing of Michael Brown is another sad and infuriating example of the deep racism that is still so pervasive in the US.  This Huffington Post article and video montage has stuck in my mind since I saw it on 8/29/14. It dates back to the beating of Rodney King in 1991 in Los Angeles. 

At the same time, I also can't make sense of how over 100,000 elephants have been slaughtered in Africa over the last three years. Deforestation, species extinction, the BP oil spill and global warming are all our doing. Nothing makes sense.

I have been trying to make sense of my work in recent months. What does it all mean?

I've read millions of articles, gone to thousands of workshops, and still grasped for a definitive connection, a way to make sense of my work in a literal way. I wanted a diagnosis. But why? Why grasp for meaning in a world that is doesn't make sense? I'm not going to get a diagnosis. I am with the atmosphere that is already here. Nothing makes sense, but the connections are there, to be outside of language, outside of a linear "relationship". 

The recent events of violence reminds me of losing my last shred of defensiveness after watching Green: Death Of The Forests. I give up. There is no reason to hold on to anything anymore.

I am reminded of Dada, again.
No Sense
Non- Sense


No comments: