Friday, December 14, 2007

A tree grows in Brooklyn

A Quality Housing requirement for the NYC Buildings Department is for the home owner to plant a street tree either in front of their new home or somewhere nearby (same block or neighborhood). That was my task this week. Along with my father, we planted our first street tree together. A Japanese Zelkovatree, apparently impervious to the devastating longhorn beetle, was chosen in conjunction with the Parks Department.

I had an amazing time planting the street tree. I never had the opportunity before, only knowing how to take care of windowsill gardens. It felt like I was part of something larger than myself. I really liked getting my hand dirty and working outside. I felt like I was bringing back the wolf by bringing back a tree.


My father also had a great time. We are so similar that at times we really got on each other's nerves and stepped on each other's toes, both proverbially and literally. He worked really, really hard that day. Lots of heavy lifting. He's staking out the soil for the tree-helpers (so the tree won't fall over this year)


Another view of us with our lovely neighbor (not a fan of street trees herself, but interesting in chatting us up a bit), and our progress with our street tree.


Around midday, a reporter and her crew found us. They are/were doing a story about "holes", and found ours to be newsworthy. They shot some footage in the street tree pit. It was a very nice experience for all of us.


Another view of the reporter and her great crew.


Our street tree, with not quite enough soil, not any mulch, but planted. A successful collaboration between father and daughter! We made it without killing each other or the tree. Job well done


My father and I in and around the street tree pit


When we arrived on site for the tree planting, we noticed the dumpster that was there for weeks on end had been taken away. The trash underneath it, however, had not been addressed yet. Job for meaningcleaning!! We cleaned the street to start our day. I think that was even more important, or as important rather, than planting the tree.


Our street in process.


Another view of the progress.


A view of the cleaner but not yet perfect street. Meaningcleaning still needs some work.

2 comments:

Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

Thanks for the great photo-story! What neighborhood is this?

Molehills Matter said...

Angela, you are forever inspiring. You look great pouring gravel in those cute work boots. And your dad is just too adorable. It has been so long and I look forward to the next chance we get to reconnect. -Russell's Gail