Monday, December 17, 2007

Cubes and the golden ratio

Our new home is turning into one composed of perfect squares, mathematical harmony, and golden means.

We are in the final stages.
Windows are getting delivered.
Reclaimed lumber is getting delivered. From Kentucky.
Our bricks are outside "weathering".

With all the complications, mess-ups, wrongly installed trades, etc., almost every room on almost every floor is turning into either a perfect square or the golden mean. It's almost a miracle. I wonder if it's the builder's secret gift to us. I won't say anything in the hopes that it is.

That's a little magic that entered into our lives today.


My despondency is lifting as the clouds are moving. I'm almost done with another sheet for airing my dirty laundry. I cannot wait until spring. For now, cubes and golden ratios.

I bought a homeless woman a cup of coffee today and also gave her two dollars. She opened the door of the bank for me. She was being virtually ignored by everybody else. Most of the times I have to admit I would have ignored her too. There is so much need in the world...actually, I can't believe I live in a country rich enough with the capacity to support the whole world, and careless enough to have (what I can see as a growing) homeless population in such a city like New York. I felt so badly. She got a large coffee light and sweet.

The New Orleans residents in FEMA trailers are getting evicted. Right in time for Christmas. I'm building my home. On what foundation? There are so many variables in the world, and in the end it doesn't even matter because we are but specks of dust in the universe. I feel that so profoundly that often I feel so out of place in urban contexts.

Out of the darkness comes the light.
Neither the beginning nor the end; the end gets swallowed up by the beginning. I read that today.

No comments: