Wednesday, July 4, 2007

spirit of aloha



This image (found on many postcards in Kauai and Oahu), resonated with me while I was in Hawaii. The spirit of Aloha what I understand it to mean is realized in the act of placing a lei onto another person.

The statue of King Kamehameha covered in leis made me think about how I love hanging things, draping things, layering things, like Annette Messeger's work:


What inspired me about the King's statue was the act of confrontation, recognition, acceptance, compassion. This has everything to do with the morse code necklaces, and everything to do with facing my former traumas. I immediately also thought of Cornelia Parker's wrapping of the Kiss by Rodin


What could it mean for me to place morse code wrappings around the statues of Zeus, Perseus, and other mythical "kings"? What could it mean to adorn a known perpetrator, as an act of compassion and acceptance?

The possibilities are endless, and I'm excited that they are extensions of what I like to do anyway, just in a relevant context. Much more to come.

No comments: