Sunday, February 25, 2007

Pulse art fair, New York

Today Turu and I met Melora at the Pulse art fair at the Armory and went to see western countries' art galleries' art. Lots and lots of art. I make that clarification b/c what I saw is a particular slice of art that was presented in a particular way. I am careful not to think of the "art world" in grandious terms, but now see each event, artist, gallery, as people deciding to work with this thing called "art". It liberates my brain and heart.

It was interesting how each booth was a microcosm of an idea(l), an identity. It was also interesting how I noticed things in a different way than I would have before: namely, what was real to me and what I hardly noticed. It was in a non judgemental way, but more judicious: seeing as much that appealed to me as what didn't.

It was also an interesting way to gallery shop for representation...to see what gallerists were interesting to talk to, which ones peaked my curiosity. It was great to spend that time with Turu and to not separate my marital life with my art making process.

There were the fluff pieces, pieces that I didn't understand as "art", but also a lot of interesting pieces that made me think about new media, ways of continuing down the path of a mixed media project or a painting project...many things were continuations of ideas already generated in workshops that I've done before or seen other workshoppers do. That was inspiring.

Maybe tomorrow I'll go to the Armory show at Pier 94, but I think I saw so much all I want to do is be in studio and continue to create my own work.

Also watching "art:21" on DVD...love all the inspiration there is in the world of artists.

No comments: