Monday, February 19, 2007

mirror mirror the beginning


Although I have started painting again, I've never worked in this way before. It's been about 5 years since I've been in front of the canvas; about that amount of time since I've been as captivated by drawing as I am now. How is a mark not a mark but a conveyance of a psycological state?

How does painting an item/person/animal over and over again lead to its re-presentation? I can paint the muzzle megaphone cow 15 times and each time each new piece is different, yet dependent on its predecesor for its existance.

How do I engage the viewer by providing just enough visual information to invite their own stories in?
How do I use my own story and own traumas without exploiting them?

What is a pyscological mark?

Working with the word wheels and the paintings and the drawings is like a 3D spiral in and of itself.

Mirror mirror is also on my mind...thinking about feminity, women's sexuality as taboo, vanity, the hand held, the hand made, biennale-scale work. Rhymes, chants, repetition

No comments: