Thursday, November 6, 2008

conversation through letters

Dear Catherine and All,

I awoke with the sun shining through the curtains and if you have ever been in Seattle this time of the year, you know that this is very rare. It really felt like a whole new world- Could it be that the change is even at the level of the air?

On the art that I see:
Most recently I saw WACK! Art and the Feminist Revolution- The work was of a different system (literally from a different politic) reflecting the spirit of the 70s. There was a serious commitment to braking structure. But the most inspiring piece for me happened outside the museum walls, a Conversation between Mary Kelly and Griselda Pollock and an audience of participants. It felt like a huge workshop circle. Where do we go from here and how do we go on, were the questions raised. No answers were reached but there was a quality to the interaction. Today's political climate and general fear underscore practice, mentioned Mary Kelly.

I think, at least for me, a lot of the fear was lifted last night with the change.

On the process/the work and artist responsibility:
Being true to what we are on a daily basis- not preconceived but who we are every time we breathe out (I know this sounds like a romantic sentiment- even as I write- what a utopia, right?)At the same time I think the process is everything; being true to the process is the responsibility.
Art for me has always been a gift. It is a gift for the person making it and the receiver. It is a gift from the process. It therefore does not really fit well into monetary structure. Then you get into ownership and a 'my piece of work'- how is it yours? I did it. How? With what history? Who is the I that is speaking? With your hands? Your hands transmitted energy. There seems to be some sort of danger when energy gets affixed, or in a sense stagnant. The process is not stagnant it moves. (There was also a lot of talk about movement at WACK!- Seeing the Feminist Movement as a movement, change.)

One does have to make a living- until that system collapses I think this will be a struggle. Theoretically if we all move energy- it goes somewhere and hopefully reaches another, who can then take it in and be energized by it. I do think it has to do with working with one another, caring for one another. Thanks for starting this conversation, Tereza

--- In sensorium@yahoogroups.com, Catherine Haley Epstein wrote:>> >
Hi all!>

> Hoping you are all feeling some relief with the positive outcome of the elections, hoorah Obama!!>

> Echoing the sentiment for a much needed change in the art world, I wondered if there were some thoughts floating out there about this need for change- an honest reaction of what you see art-wise in your town/city, in your residencies, at your community museums, on your travels? I am curious of things you see as hopeful changes and opportunities - are you finding there is an outlet for art to make change, or are you finding art consolidated in the sterile confines of gallery/museum/media?>

> As artists what is our responsibility to the archiving, documentation and display of work? To what extent do we choose to invent new systems or change existing systems? It is a constant struggle for me to understand where energies are best spent - having understood through many accounts that to make "good art" one must remove themselves from all of these "systems", one must ground themselves in the non-material to find truth and ultimately find beauty in your work/process. I agree - AND I know that one would like to make a living as an artist. >

> Even if you find yourself wildly successful (financially) in the current system that exists, it is still perpetuating a cycle of art consumption that is off the mark. It ultimately requires you to become a factory -not OK.>

> So what are your thoughts for change in this system? What do you think can be done as individuals and collectively? Uninterested in dedicating my life to padding my resume or hanging out in the trenches of group shows, I am fully committed to making artworks and visually communicating that which I feel is vital whether with my own work or collaboratively, and not in the current systems - any one else? I know this is a sentiment explored by many movements in contemporary art history (arte povera, fluxus, etc), and there is a lot to learn from them...just wanting to check the pulse now with fellow artists. Looking forward to your response.>

> Love & peace,> > Catherine

No comments: