Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Applycations and Woman's Work







Need to write a statement for the above images (they will be viewed in this duet form with two projectors) for a grant due in a couple of weeks. I feel like the applycation process has to become second nature to us although I get weird about the writing before I actualy do it. Keeping my fingers crossed.


Been reading Art Sinnce 1945 and this work reminded me highly of your Through the Eyes of Strangers work- I have had the privelage of seeing this work up front and personal and what a powerful statement- the artist lost ten pound over the course of the documentation to carve her body into the desirable shape (Carving the Traditional Sculpture)- the mug shot element comments on the perspective of the onlooker. Even though the piece is almost 40 years old it still rings true does it not?















No comments: