Monday, September 17, 2007

wrapped silverware

Tonight after dinner with mom I wrapped a sterling silver serving spoon and four forks with gorgeous red yarn.

After showing her the work for the Strangers show, and telling her of the nexus of that piece, I got her to pull down three large plastic storage bags filled with yarn from the top of her closet. I chose the red fluffy kind, for no apparent reason. I mean, of course the fur teacup comes to mind, as well as Cristo and Jean Claude, but really...

My memories of holding yarn for my mom when I was younger come back in a faded way. There is a picture of mine on the wall of sketches I did 10 years ago about the subject. Yarn and knitting has always been around me because my mother has always knitted. Knitting needles, skeins of yarn everywhere, pattern books...

And of course silverware (because this spoon was so beautiful!) and silverware and silverware and bowls and cups and glasses and plates and linens and pillowcases and vases and typewriters and children's books and old toys and everything else stored away in my old room and in the crevices of the closets.

So since my studio is now shared space, and my home is a very shared space, my works today have been wrapped silverware. Four forks and a serving spoon.

No comments: