Monday, September 3, 2007

no separation

August
Thought about moving, "home", travel:
-Went to Documenta, Biennale, and Munster on the artSafari. Amazingly refreshing to see all that art!
However, the timing couldn't have been worse: we sold our apartment in Queens and had to move out 10 days after I returned from my trip.
-So after practically quitting my spa job (realizing of course I have to commit 100% to my studio practice), travelling to Italy and Germany, I came back to New York with no money and a house and studio to move.
Turu and I worked non-stop for 8 days straight, getting everything out. We hired a storage space blocks from my studio to pile everything in; he moved his office into my studio, along with all our plants, which feels bigger and smaller at the same time, and we moved back into my parents' apartment which for better or worse was our only option.

SO...now we work, live, sleep, eat, and breathe and bathe and everything else together. Our studios are together and we live with my parents. I'm documenting everything because the experience is too surreal not to.

That was all the week I got home.
The second week, last week, I started work at the US Open working on the female tennis players at Arthur Ashe stadium. It was an incredible opportunity to work on amazingly talented and professional athletes. Made me re-think entirely my own body of work about the ten foot pole.

I don't live in my house anymore. I feel like a nomad.

Everything is actually going GREAT, but last week on Thursday I had a major breakdown...it's interesting when everything starts going right after working so hard to get it...it somehow feels like I don't deserve it or I feel guilty for actually getting what I want. That passed but it took its toll.

We camped this weekend on our friends' mountain north of the catskills. I feel re-inspired to continue again. I'm getting my work shot and sent out to the "Through the Eyes of Strangers" show tomorrow. Onward and upward but wow what close quarters I now share with my family.

No comments: