Wednesday, September 5, 2007

calm after storm



I think it's been my practice to build up the storm around me, like a tornado of movement, emotion, passion, and indecision, and then like popped and deflating balloon I often settle in, ground out, breathe.

My practice is just fine. I think I think too much about the HOW which stops the actual making of the work. The thinking of the work stops with the cut off of breath. Hyper anxiety flushes out rational thought and calm, tai-chi- like pushing through the world.

I printed out my piece for the Through The Eyes of Strangers show yesterday with a photographer friend. It's been a great practice to collaborate with professionals to document both recent and past work.

The flurry of thinking I'm not worth all that is coming to me is slightly passed. Past.

Thinking about painting a lot lately actually...haven't completed a painting in over 6 months. Very much intruiged as always by Keifer's work as well as Tapies.
What is an empathetic mark?
I am still drawn to the enigma of a beautiful and angry mark, the combination of masculine and feminine together on one large surface. But, admittedly, fear has kept me from making the paintings I dream of making. That, and lack of space now that my studio is currently an office as well.
How can I work with
the memory
the remembered
the left behind
the cultivated

Very interested in the projected vs. the actual. I think the pieces for the TTEOS show reflect my curiosity of word/image associations, taking things commonly accepted by the society I know and making them strange. I am on the outskirts of the kitchen just waiting to make my mark. It's happening I just have to keep on making the work

The work in forms the work informs the work informs the work

No comments: