Friday, June 1, 2007

GMC

Gordon Matta-Clark show at the Whitney. Breath of fresh air on a very hot and humid New York summer day.

Beautiful, very poetic approach to a violent act of sawing, cutting, splitting architectural structures. It left me feeling lighter, more quiet. I didn't feel the work was dated at all, and actually think I may try to see it again before it closes on Sunday.



I especially liked his idea to BB gun blow out windows at Cornell and place images of Public Housing Projects from the Bronx displaying the failure of modern architecture design. Curious that by banning the work at the University it became more powerful. Does the more one suppresses an idea the more infiltrating it can become? Does banning work make the work itself more interesting? I think I would have resonated with the piece regardless of whether it was banned or not. It was a great idea. Simple.

No comments: