Monday, June 4, 2007

ownership



Who owns a color, an idea, a lineage, a brush mark? I was discussing this with another artist today in her studio...the questions came up about how one can be possessive of visual vocabulary (like you can't use red because I used it in a painting six years ago! wah!) or not allow a picture to be taken by another person because THEY were going to take the picture and then give it to others, etc.

I found the whole thing depressingly childish and was saddened that my friend had to endure what I perceived as a pretty immature onslaught of insecurity, assumption, and projection.

It's hard to write about this and be vague about who what where when and how....but the underlying concept is interesting to me and maybe that's what I want to discuss...why can't one find similarities of work between artists fascinating rather than threatening? I always love when artists I know merge ideas, help one another, etc.

One can't own the word "the" and then lend it out to everyone else who wants to use it.

Steal! steal! steal! I hope the best for the above mentioned Little Miss Bossy

No comments: