Sunday, June 22, 2014

Yesterday, today

Yesterday 
-2 year old birthday party from 9-11am
-Met M and C at Carl Andre exhibition at Dia: Beacon.
-Opening reception of Worlds Of Wonder at the Dorsky Museum.

The Dia exhibit was incredible, intense, all-encompassing, expansive, quiet, powerful, and captivating.

However, I never knew the back story that Andre was charged and later acquitted of murdering his wife, the artist Ana Mendieta. A book was written about it five years after the incident. From the NYTimes: NAKED BY THE WINDOW: The Fatal Marriage of Carl Andre and Ana Mendieta, by Robert Katz.

Apparently this retrospective was protested by many artists in front of Dia in NYC, via Hyperallergic, here.

Knowing this about Andre, how is my reception of his work changed?
Does it effect how I understand his work?
How does it effect his contribution to art history?
I mean, to me it appears that he's made a bi-forked contribution: his own work to Minimalism over a 40 year career and that story..and also (potentially, allegedly) removing Mendieta from the story of art and Feminism and silencing her potential growth and development as an artist.

I only learned about Andre and Mendieta after returning from the opening at the Dorsky.
The show was good, well attended and well received. Some of the artists spoke about their work. I admire the curator's approach. C and M stayed for a while. I'm still interested to see how my piece develops, where the tableaus can go, what they are, and what I can learn from them.

Here are some images of my piece from the opening, thanks to Ruth Burkett




We were all exhausted after a 12 hour day, and fell asleep soon after eating ice cream cones on the front porch.

Today
I'm ordering the book about Mendieta and Andre. I want to know more.


No comments: