Saturday, August 25, 2012

My favorite room in Karlstejn


In King Charles's bedroom of the Karlstejn castle we see his private chapel with a holy relic that he carried whenever he traveled (center) and a statue of Madonna and Child out of ivory. What I found most stunning was the partially renovated wall. There are these floating squares and rectangles beautifully spaced throughout. Each is labeled with a number and perhaps corresponds to preexisting frescoes of the chapel. I find this trace of such a distant past and the current attention to it (the edges of the fresco blend just right with the contemporary paint job,) gorgeous! I also loved the spacing of each rectangle and that amazing cross at the top of the arch. Just beautiful! What remains, has been a constant thought for me over this summer. What remains after we in current form do not? Here I found some answers.

No comments: