Friday, May 16, 2008

More Deliberate Play and Cy Twombly


mamma insides




soldier insides, continues...



let's talk about Twombly's work and Tapies. I've always felt a great sense of freedom in front of a Twombly ( I have not stood in front of a Tapies, yet). When teaching, Twombly would bring about the most discussion. The students and I often are so much more conservative- I feel still about a century behind in my artmaking- do you know what I mean? trying to 'represent' (I'm thinking of a comission I am painting- so boring to me and so consuming. What people think of as painting and what is currently happening on canvas are worlds apart. I find myself following the mass stream- thinking of the mass viewer rather than leaping in faith , which is what I feel from folks like Twombly, Tapies, Kiefer. I'm ready to leap and thrilled to start the residency in Vermont this summer. I have to remember these thoughts as I paint onto the cafe wall tomorrow. It is not about necessarily paining the protesters- it is being the protest!


No comments: