Tuesday, November 25, 2014

červená knihovna

Home from NY on the train, I remembered my grandmother, in a sly tone, showing me a red little book. She said I could read it when I was older.

Cervena knihovna was an edition of books bound with a red cover that seemed to be trashy novels specifically for female audience at the turn of the century in CZ. Centered around a love affair, set within a historical background, the books were formulaic, romantic fiction usually having sexual, often misogynistic content throughout. example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mills_%26_Boon

What is unusual is that my grandmother who also introduced us to prayer before bed, had a sparkle in her eye as she showed me the book.

Naturally, I connected this story to our little red books, especially the one with marks. A love affair of sorts, (I love them!) non-fiction, very personal, responses to abuse and empowerment, I am excited to continue writing our library!


No comments: