Sunday, May 8, 2011

Birth of a Mother


>Subject: Birth Story
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:08:36
>
>
>Oh goodness- where do I begin this process...
>our life is now a whole other process- changed in an instant when we held
>Alenka in our arms last night!
>Labor started in the night on the 17th- a few contractions 10-15 minutes
>apart- my body just started to work its way - we labored at home through
>about to 2Pm at home and decided to get to the birth center when I really
>did not feel like being in the car for longer than 20 minutes. We were at 4
>cm. and then the midwives said things went like clock work- for me it
>certainly was not the feeling- but I focused on one contraction at a time
>and took those brakes. Will was an inch away throughout- I certainly am
>skeptical about being able to do such a job as he had by my side supporting
>me through every instance. We also had an amazing doula whose body I worked
>almost as much as my own, leaning, pulling, grabbing.
>At 8cm the midvife broke my water and this is where it really started to
>move and increase in intensity. I 've certainly never worked this hard
>physically- ever- Two and a half hours later still thinking that there is
>no I had the ability way to get squeeze her head through- Her beautiful
>head finally slipped through and was floating in the water (I was
>delivering into a tub)- The midwives wanted to check the cord in another
>position before delivering the shoulders but in the transition on all fours
>to my back she just floated out of me! Next thing i new i was holding this
>beautiful being in my arms- the most exceptional moment if my life...
>daddy felt the cord finish pulsating and then cut this connection. Alenka
>and i are doing fantastic- we are both new at this- espeecially me but we
>are making things work. love to all of you, please connect soon- Alenka
>will want to say hello to all her aunts and uncles!!!!

Rereading the passage above, I recall the overwhelming feeling of those first days. This wide opening. And although some sentences don't make 'sense,' the feeling is there.

No comments: