Sunday, February 6, 2011

Airing Dirty Laundry: February 6, 2011

Today was an excellent day to begin this piece.

Everything - from the installation, to the informal interview with Db Leonard, to the actual embroidery circle - went smoothly and in the way I had hoped it would go. The atmosphere was warm, inviting, and with purpose.

The table was set with five stations of embroidery hoops, practice cloths, needles and thread. Within the first five minutes of the opening, each station was filled! Each person understood that this was the first day of the installation, and, with help, that the piece would grow as the residency progressed.

I taught the group the only embroidery stitch I know, the chain stitch, which was easily mastered by all. Everyone worked with vigor and great enthusiasm.

I've only ever made my own work, so to have such willing participants in one of my pieces was a new and humbling experience. My aim is to embroider upwards of 50 sheets during my time at Roos. Hopefully with this much positivity and encouragement, I will attain this goal.

Images to follow
x


No comments: