Friday, May 7, 2010

working/playing through the process

("Disrupting Order," ink printed in draft mode onto legal paper, overlaid with red ink by 4 yr.old, 8.5x14")
The more I write and practice, the more I understand that the random happenings
are actually the work. For Example when Ali scribbled on my printing paper the contrast to the strict horizontal and vertical lines is what I am working on: the critique of institutionalized linearity, institutionalize marriage, etc. I have a feeling this contrast; juxtaposing scribble lines overlaid with straight ones, will be incorporated into the thesis work.

("Three overlays in space,"carbon paper transfers onto studio wall, each symbol no bigger than 10x6", image 1.5x2')
Back to my obsession with painting directly on walls. A chunk of the studio wall might be embedded into the gallery wall in Vermont. The straight blue ink line is the same concept as in the lined paper above. I am having blueprints of College Hall which will house the thesis exhibition sent to me. I think the straight lines will be the blueprint of the building transcribed onto the wall which will then be broken up by red linear scribbles as in the previous work.

Expanding my symbol vocabulary


("Friends!", Images taken from facebook and printed onto paper in draft mode, cut into silhouettes, 11x8.5" each)
These will be transferred onto studio wall and then continue onto the gallery wall somehow within the scribbles.
Or something like that. (I will soon post my Process Paper- a journey reflecting on the past couple of years.)

No comments: