Sunday, September 28, 2008

Doing that one thing you can do forever


tree sketch
I remember telling Claire that if I could work on anything (taking politics out of the scenario) I would be painting trees.
Well it’s time to do that and I see that this does fit into the political arena quite significantly. I had one of the nicest days working yesterday. This is what I would love to do forever- it seems.
The viewer will see the drawing from a ladder (standing in the place of the tree), looking down to look up at the tree.

The day began and ended with looking. The more I looked the quirky space became; I saw its bends and folds. In order to mirror the growth of this enormous pine, I will be bending my paper, continuing the drawing the full length of the roll if needed. Looking up into the tree, kneeling in front of it or lying back in the grass was heavenly.


An unexpected process evolved. I used my hands over the space together, one erasing while the other applied charcoal. It has been a practice I have wanted to do for many years- just never really “got around to it”. Now is the time.













Preparation was integral. I’m finding I don’t want to pause to get something within the process; it has to be at hand. Love drawing with the alpaca wool (so nice to hold).





I love the outdoor studio! I feel much more at home than in my little bedroom space. And I wanted to get to the drawing of the crown of the tree (rather than the construction of canvas.) So I have a roll of drawing paper that I hope to unroll and continue the drawing on as I roll up the top end.) I hope to mirror the tree from base up. Space does amazing things as I figure out how to look up the tree but draw down the paper! It’s so exciting!



Dressing up the tree, (I am stitching a skirt, tent at that attaches at the base) material is canvas and one I will draw, paint after its construction.







No comments: