Sunday, October 25, 2009

Artist Statement

Through my work I interrogate the “I”; within and outside of language, with my limitations, potential, barriers. I shuffle furniture within, let dust settle, play/draw with that dust, sweep it up out of sight (seemingly), and shuffle some more, always unsettling.

Dialogue starts the process, whether with theory or individuals. I ask the other, “What do you need? What is essential to you?” and reflect upon my own needs, desires. I look. I see the marks on the wall, the previous hand’s spackle, the gritted tape applied in such and such a gesture. I see the evergreen, the bursting of its bark as it fills more and more of his form. I see my reflection, my shadow, at times attached to my daughter’s hand, at moments without. I observe others’ creative process; in frustration, gentleness, peacefulness, rage-fullness, purposeful. I discuss this process, with professors, friends, artists, mothers, children, lover, Montessori teachers, the women working the cash register, every day.

In current work, Body Form, I move, photographing the movement, printing it in its stillness on paper, cutting out the silhouette, (finding my boundary), a representation of me in paper doll cutout. I cut ‘me’ out, in order to give myself more space, in any space. This does not work, as the gesture is forced. But the cutting “me” out works on many levels; I use the negative image. For now, I fill the form with what feels more like me than the superficial image. I play. I sense I need to break the silhouette, blur my boundary, my form not just to reform but to metamorphose. I am and continue to be in process.

No comments: