Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Dancing- moving the fe/male forms

I have recently strated dancing agian. both Nia and Ballroom. Actually I will start teaching it in a few weeks.

The last time I danced was ten years ago and decided to let it go when it was taking time away from 'other work.

Moving my form post carrying a child is a whole other movement. I love the flow of mind and body working as one and teaching others this. It is neglected both for women and men here. Oh and sadly the sexuality/sensuality play into this form of expression as well.

I have to say, I feel most free in a new dance I have just started, nia- it is all women and of course this lends to a freeing atmosphere ( no need to dress up, smell good, paint face- refreshing.) This is what I would like to bring to ballroom- where historically sex plays such a huge role. Lets start with te labels, "leader"&"follower" for example.

Movement can feel so good- and when there is another human in front of one to move with it can feel remarkable- that subtelty between bodies, the respect. How do I teach this without the comments like "he is the sun of the universe, you (woman) spin around him?". Changing the language will be helpful to reframe this dance, I hope.

Keep on with the ten foot poles. Excited to see the images, videos, performances.

No comments: